A Beginner's Guide to Holistic Wellness: How to Help Your Self (Mind, Body & Spirit)
Aug 02, 2018
This post is brought to you in partnership with ZICO Coconut Water. All opinions are our own.
For some people, the term "holistic wellness" conjures images of acupuncture, chiropractic care, homeopathy, and more. And yes, those are some examples of treatments you may find in holistic medicine! But in reality, holistic wellness just comes down to thinking about your whole self: your body, mind, and spirit. And it looks totally different from one person to the next.
That's what ZICO's new "Help Your Self" campaign is all about: finding ways, whether big and small, to make your whole self feel good, happy, and healthy.
That means taking the time to care for all three components of your "self" -- whether that means a few minutes of meditation to calm your mind, keeping your body healthy and hydrated with ZICO Coconut Water, or spending time with good friends to nourish your spirit.
Here at Work For Your Beer, we're all about living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. For us, beer fitness activities are a great example of how you can #HelpYourSelf.
Think about it. You start with fitness -- whether that's a yoga class, a run, a bike ride, or any other activity -- for your body. You move on to relax with your post-class libation, (which for us, is usually a beer) to calm your mind and bring you joy. And then you spend time with friends, old or new, to nourish your spirit.
How Else Can You 'Help Your Self'?
There are plenty of other ways that you can incorporate holistic wellness into your daily routine to keep your mind, body, and spirit in good health. Here are a few to get you started:
- Set aside time for mindful meditation (even if it's just two minutes)
- Read a book
- Sign up for a class or course in a new topic that interests you
- Learn a new language (you can use an app like DuoLingo to do this for free)
- Do a brain-teaser like Sudoku, a crossword puzzle, a Rubix cube, or something else to challenge your mind
- Listen to a new podcast
- Set alarms throughout the day to remind yourself to stay hydrated (grabbing a ZICO Coconut Water is a healthy, refreshing, tasty way to check this one off your list!)
- Go outside to soak up the sun for a few minutes -- but be sure to use sunscreen first!
- Have a mini dance party, even if it's just for a few minutes
- Take a short nap (10 - 20 minutes) to recharge
- Go for a walk, run, jog, hop -- whatever you can do to get your body moving
- Laugh! Meet up with your funniest friend, put on a hilarious movie, watch a funny YouTube video, ask someone to tell you a joke, read an entertaining book -- do something to get yourself giggling
- Give a friend or relative a call to catch up and connect
- Turn off all of your electronic devices for a set amount of time per day to unplug and unwind
- Talk to someone you've never met before
- Volunteer for a cause that you're passionate about
How Do You 'Help Your Self'?
Did we miss one of your favorite ways to practice holistic wellness in your own life? Tell us how you nourish your mind, body, and spirit! Post on social media with the hashtags #HelpYourSelf and #WorkForYourBeer for the chance to be featured on our feed.
Want to learn more about ZICO Coconut Water? Click here.